Monday, August 23, 2010

I wouldn't say it was oodles of fun, but I do love Cedar City

You know what, I did have fun. First week back in Cedar City was definitely busy and stressful, but I enjoyed it as well. First of all, it was getting here that nearly caused an aneurysm. I was pretty sore about it earlier, but after enjoying some Cedar City sunshine, my heart has been softened and I have forgiven. Plus, I honestly enjoy the bus. My wonderful roommate was eagerly waiting to greet me upon my arrival and after a quick tour of my new apartment, I felt at home (quick, for the apartment really isn't that big, but what we lack in space, we make up for in love)... (ooo, that was cheesy).
Starting bright and early Monday morning, it was back to the catering biz. After some groggy movements, and dragging my sluggish feet across the street to campus, I was greeted by old friends and old bow-ties. Monday's event meant rubbing elbows with the entire faculty and staff, so although it was rapid, it was also fun. I visited my cuz Scott at his job, then he came to the lunch and he visited me at mine. I love having him close and around, it brightens my days.
Oh! And Monday was my birthday. Not only do I not mind working on my birthday, I actually kind of like it. Working on my birthday isn't as pathetic as sitting alone at home, plus it gets me out and talking to people.
After work I ran, literally ran, back to my apartment where I met my wonderful uncle who brought down a van full of my crap. The only reason I hate moving so much, is that I realize how much stuff I have, its rather depressing. The few hours after work was really the only time I spent unpacking. Oh, and this was after putting a nail through my hand while moving a dresser (don't worry, its healing fabulously). Antibiotic was definitely purchased on the Wal-mart trip immediately following the move in.
In order to celebrate my birthday, an adorable young man took me out to dinner; Costa Vida, of course. After that lovely meal, I was reunited with this gorgeous lady I know. We partied, of course (I think we went to wal-mart, yes again). My wonderful roommate gifted me 3D sidewalk chalk pack, I may or may not have screamed when I saw it. To further the celebration, I made cupcakes for Mrs. Pamela, for it was her birthday the next day. They were good, if I do say so myself.
Tuesday came I went to one of my favorite places on the planet, the Service and Learning Center! I can't even explain the joy my heart absorbs when simply entering the premises. I do believe that the day entailed making service leader boxes, catching up with friends, eating and sharing the wonderful chocolate cupcakes with Pam. Oh, and Tuesday I did not have work, so obviously, I spent all day at the center. Tuesday night brought star gazing, but I was a bum so I went home early.
All day Wednesday was spent at the center, again, of course. Until three o'clock, when I went to work, again. I enjoy my job, quite thoroughly actually. Especially on this day, where we served a group of teachers, AT THE MOUNTAIN CENTER. The mountains here are gorgeous. After work, I dragged me and my sloshy black work shoes back to my apartment, where I basically went straight to bed, like an old person.
I had my alarm set for eight thirty AM, for I was supposed to be at work at nine AM. Fortunately, my boss has my cell number and called me at eight-oh-one and said "hey! are you almost to work?!" and I said "um, yes...?" so I hurried to work. When I was reunited with my boss, in front of the posted schedule I said "dude! I was right, I'm not scheduled until nine!" He checked the schedule for himself and said "hmm, well your event goes out at eight thirty, so can you start early?!" ... I gave him "a look" and said "well yeah, obviously." He got some major crap for scheduling me AFTER my event was scheduled to go out. It was simple enough though, and after running to and from the centrum to the service room multiple times, the event got out just in time.
After the breakfast event, I had to set and serve the fajita orientation lunch. After that, lunch for myself. Aside from the bosses, I was the only one crazy enough to agree to a full double shift, so I got to eat some delicious fajitas in the company of all the big boss guys, which was fun. This week was extremely difficult, but it also brought me closer to my job and the people involved.
After lunch, I was sent across the street to hand out popsicles to those moving in, and participating with the move-ins. Then there was some water coolers that needed picking up, new students to be fed and in the end I worked twelve and a half hours. Which I haven't done in a couple of years, but I just keep thinking about the paycheck.
Friday called for an early morning again. Its a good thing that I love the service center, just kidding, I had fun. We all participated in the freshman assembly, then went to meet them at the bell tower. Upon my arrival to the bell tower, I realized that the lunch wasn't quite set up, so I ran down and asked my boss man what I could do. I ended up working for about an hour, just out of the goodness of my heart, because we were so understaffed that day. One of my fellow employees found out that I wasn't actually working and said "wait! you're not getting paid for this?!" and I said "um no, I'm not scheduled today, they just needed my help" then my boss came out of nowhere and said "oh, I'll put you in for an hour, duh." I like my job, I feel appreciated... and needed too.
But then it was back to service and learning, AND a wonderful catered lunch with Pastry Pub vegetarian sandwiches! We had a wonderful and productive afternoon at the service center, highlighted by all you can eat pizza at The Pizza Factory. But then it was back to work until ten PM! Needless to say, I was quite exhausted upon returning to my apartment.
I slept like a rock that night, and that was a good thing, for I had to be at the center at seven o'clock in the morning! Who wakes up that early?! Seriously. Don't worry, I woke up at the more reasonable time of six forty. Then it was time for SUPER SERVICE SATURDAY!! Which, yes, it did start, for me, at seven AM, but it is also an amazing program. Something like seventeen hundred people participated in it this year. I was a leader for group number one, with Esteven. We had a good group, hard working, diligent, and only one person puked. Plus, we really did make a difference at the Family Support Center.
It was weird being done with my day around one PM, I kind of didn't know what to do with myself. Annieface and Tarbear helped me figure it out. We went shopping where I purchased a few necessities that I had failed to buy earlier in the week, due to my lack of free time and lack of cash. After being locked out of their house, weeding for a big, getting a tour of their new place, and taking an accidental nap on their couch, I returned home to take a real nap. Then partying commenced, after napping and showering, of course. But I called it an early night.
I was really not looking forward to my first nine o'clock church in almost three years, but it turned out not being too bad. We'll see if I'm still saying that when I get further into the semester and social life, but its good for now. Nine o'clock church is the best for mid-Sunday naps, which I took advantage of, of course.
My nap was rudely interrupted by my alarm telling me that it was time for work, yet again. I worked on a Sunday for the first time in my life. I'm okay with working on a Sunday once a year, especially when I got to hang out with the President of my university at the same time.
So. Good week? Yes. Productive, tiring, exhausting, and I can't wait for that paycheck. I do realize that this post, aside from being narcissistic, was long and boring, but I think a weekly update of my life is a good thing (if not for you than for me when I am senile and this is the only way to remember who I am and how I got that way).

No comments:

Post a Comment